Wanna switch up your morning roll situation to something more savory? Try these Zatar rolls! They are the perfect savory dish to tackle that salt/carb craving early in the morning. Hit your taste buds with these zatar rolls. You can prepare them the night before and eat in the morning. Or you can checkout my “Lazy” method at the end that will give you similar results. I basically make cinnamon roll dough minus the sugar. Check out my baklava rolls if you haven’t done that yet.
- ⅓ cup very warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (may need more or less
- 1/2 cup green Zatar mix.
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a measuring cup stir together water, ¼ teaspoon sugar, and yeast.
- Let mixture sit for a few minutes until it is puffy and foamy.
Add in whole milk, melted butter and eggs.
- Mix until combined
- Pour yeast mixture into the large bowl and mix them together.
- Mix in salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour and mix within the stand mixer using a dough hook. Mix flour 1 cup at a time.
- Once dough has formed place the ball of dough into a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm location.
- Let sit for about 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
How to make filling
- To make the filling: Combine all the filling ingredients.
- Mix well.
How to assemble
- After the dough has risen.
- Punch the dough down a few times to release the air.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour and turn dough onto floured surface.
- Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough to about a 12×15″ rectangle.
- Use a rubber spatula to smooth the filling over the whole dough rectangle.
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up tightly jelly roll style.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Starting from the end furthest from you, begin tightly rolling up the dough.
- When done, place the roll seam-side down, and carefully slice the roll into 12 (1½-inch) sections.
- Place the rolls in a greased baking pan,sides touching.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location to let rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake between15-20 minutes or until sides of cinnamon rolls are lightly golden.
- While rolls are cooking, prepare the glaze by combining all glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- When zatar rolls come out of the oven, let cool for a 10 minutes.
- Then eat, eat, eat, eat!
Don’t got time to make sweet dough/bread? Just following the filling/assemble directions using pre-made pizza dough. Pizza dough will be a little more dense but it’s still good. Melt cheese on top during the last 4-5 minutes of baking.