You want to make some delicious pita bread? You can make this super easy recipe. You only need a cast iron or pizza stone to make your pita dreams a realty. Check out recipe below!
Homemade Pita Bread
Ingredients• 1 package active dry yeast • ½ teaspoon sugar • 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purposed flour • 1 teaspoon kosher salt • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make sponge: Put 1 cup lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add the flour and mix together. Put bowl in a warm place, covered until mixture rises, about 2 hours.
- After the dough rises, punch down dough and turn dough onto work surface. Knead lightly for 2 minutes, until smooth. Divide the dough into 8 pieces of equal size. Form each piece into a little ball. Place dough balls on work surface, cover with a towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees. In the middle shelf of oven, place a heavy-duty pizza stone or a large cast-iron pan.
- Remove 1 ball and press into a flat disk with rolling pin. Roll to a 6-inch circle, then to an 8-inch diameter, about 1/8 inch thick, dusting with flour if necessary.
- Carefully lift the dough circle and place quickly on hot pizza stone. After 2 minutes the dough should be nicely puffed. Turn over with tongs or spatula and bake 1 minute more. The pita should be pale, with only a few brown speckles. Transfer warm pita basket and cover so bread stays soft. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.