Hungry? Confused on what to make for dinner? Should I eat Shawarma? Or Should I eat Mac & Cheese?
Get over the dilemma and just make both of them and throw them into a pot together. I make this recipe often when I have left over chicken in the fridge. This recipe gives life to that wack a** leftover chicken from the other day. Believe me when I say this is some next level Mac & Cheese. You gotta try it out. I make life easier by providing both the recipe and video. Now you got no excuses.
Shawarma Macaroni & Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- Diced Shawarma Chicken (see recipe on how to make shawarma)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Zatar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded havarti cheese (not feeling havarit? Just use cheddar)
- Dash of Salt & Pepper for taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour to make a roux, and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring constantly to form a roux; add salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon zatar; slowly add milk, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in cheese a small amount at a time until fully melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce; stir to coat
- Here there are different variations on how to add the shawarma:
- You can either add it directly to the pot and mix it in to the mac & cheese. Here the final product is complete and you can just chow down.
- Or you can bake the Mac & Cheese. Here you would add the finished mac to a greased cast iron pan, add the shawarma on top and of the mac, and then smoother the top with shredded cheese. Bake until melted in a pre-heated oven set at 350* F.
- Don’t forget to garnish with parsley and zatar.
See Video Below for step by step walkthrough.