Baklava Cinnamon Rolls
- ⅓ cup very warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (may need more or less
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ground pistachios
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), melted
- 1/4 cup baklava water (see below)
- 2 cups sugar and 1 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rosewater
- 2-3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup crushed pistachios
- 1/2 cup Baklava Syrup
- In a measuring cup stir together water, ¼ teaspoon sugar, and yeast.
- Let mixture sit for a few minutes until it is puffy and foamy.
- Add in ½ cup sugar, whole milk, melted butter, almond extract, and eggs.
- Mix until combined
- Pour yeast mixture into the large bowl and mix them together.
- Mix in salt and baking powder.
Pour the wet mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast overtop.
Add the flour and mix within the stand mixer using a dough hook. Mix flour 1 cup at a time.
- Once dough has formed place the ball of dough into a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm location.
- Let sit for about 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
How to make filling
- To make the filling: Combine all the filling ingredients.
- Mix well.
How to make Baklava Syrup
- Stir the sugar, water, lemon juice over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Add honey. Stop stirring, increase the heat to medium, and cook until the mixture is slightly syrupy, about 5 minutes
- Let cool.
How to assemble
- After the dough has risen. Punch the dough down a few times to release the air.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour and turn dough onto floured surface.
Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough to about a 12×15″ rectangle.
Use a rubber spatula to smooth the filling over the whole dough rectangle.
Starting on the long end, roll the dough up tightly jelly roll style.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Starting from the end furthest from you, begin tightly rolling up the dough.
- When done, place the roll seam-side down, and carefully slice the roll into 12 (1½-inch) sections.
- Place the rolls in a greased baking pan,sides touching.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location to let rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sides of cinnamon rolls are lightly golden.
- While rolls are cooking, prepare the glaze by combining all glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- When cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, let cool for a 10 minutes and then spread on the glaze.
- Then eat, eat, eat, eat!